In November our attention turns to a more festive mood because the holiday season is upon us. It’s a season to be thankful and a season to celebrate with family and friends while sitting down together to partake of a wonderful Thanksgiving feast. But for millions of Americans, this time of year only emphasizes their hunger struggle. According to the Household Food Security Report in the United States in 2010, 14.5 percent of households (approximately one in seven) were food insecure, the highest ever recorded in the United States.
For November 2011 our Fun UP! With A Purpose focus is on FEEDING THE HUNGRY IN AMERICA.
WHO Can Be Involved:
- This is an “ANY AGE” activity.
WHERE To Get Involved:
- Local churches
- Food banks in your area
- Area Rescue Missions
- Your own neighborhood
WHAT You Can Do To Help:
- Food Drives
- Volunteer for Meals on Wheels
- Offer to make a meal for someone in need
- Volunteer or transport food to your local Food Bank
- Volunteer to serve meals at a local rescue mission
- Make $$ donations
- For you hunters and fishermen: consider donating your catch to a local organization to feed the hungry
- Operation Christmas Child – giving a shoebox of goodies to kids in need
- ***VERY IMPORTANT*** Operation Christmas Child collection week is November 14 – November 21, 2011. Boxes are collected in November to be sent in time for Christmas. For information on what to pack in your shoebox & where to drop off your shoebox click here: Operation Christmas Child
Just recently I was involved in a Fun UP! With A Purpose activity through our local church. Instead of our traditional Sunday morning service, the entire church – kids, students and adults – went together to a local grocery store. We shopped for items from a list given to us, bought the items and put them in a truck outside the store. The groceries were delivered to the local organizations later that day. From our church alone, three food banks and a local pregnancy center were completely restocked and overflowing! One organization for one purpose making a difference!
For More Information: